[OM] Re: Another AP article full of praise - Now very OT(T?)

Subject: [OM] Re: Another AP article full of praise - Now very OT(T?)
From: Duncan Paterson <depaterson@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 14:37:23 +0000 (GMT)
Ah yes, Piers, I see your point. I became confused  about who said what. I do
agree with Chris in that "vigilando" is the  gerund (more accurate than present
participle but with essentially the  same usage) derived from "vigilare" and as
such is treated as a verbal  noun. However, I think Donald's English
translation sounds more natural  and, even though it doesn't carry over every
nuance of the original  Latin, I would say it's acceptable to use the noun
"vigilance" here as  it's clear from the "custodimus", that "we" are the one's
being  vigilant.

  Although my Latin teacher was pretty thourough when it came to grammar,  he
would always tell us, after translating something into English, to  ask
ourselves: "Does it sound natural?"

  Duncan.
  Also without his Lewis.

Piers Hemy <piers@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
I say, chaps, this is mighty impressive!  But, Duncan, you seem to be
agreeing with Chris rather than Donald, though I no longer have access to
Lewis & Short (1880) to check.

--
Piers