[OM] Re: Fisheye confusion

Subject: [OM] Re: Fisheye confusion
From: "Jeffrey Keller" <jrk_om@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 21:38:59 -0800
An 8mm fisheye will form a circular image centered on 35mm film. A 16mm
fisheye will form a cirucular image with the edges of the circle at the
corners of the 35mm film. The image will have a rectangular shape because it
is larger than the film.

A fisheye is a lens which has intentional "barrel distortion". (It tries to
preserve angular area vs. a rectilinear lens which stretches the image at
the edges) Focal length doesn't have anything to do with whether it is a
fisheye lens or not.

Example; the 7-14mm digital Zuiko is a rectilinear lens. The 8mm digital
Zuiko is a fisheye lens.

-jeff