[OM] E-500 in Amateur Photographer

Subject: [OM] E-500 in Amateur Photographer
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 10:00:57 +0000
The new camera earned 89% in its review in AP.  The reviewer was
Chris Gatcum, a long-time OM user and it is quite a reasonable
review.  The "Verdict" finishes thus"

>  ...Some of the features seen in this new entry-level model woiuld
> not be out of place on a flagship camera, such as dust prevention
> and advanced highlight/shadow spotmetering.  In my opinion, these
> unigque technologies, combined with good overall handling and
> performance, not only put the E-500 among the best of the entry-
> level DSLRs -- the Canon EOS 350D and the Nikon D5- -- but a little
> way ahead.  If the occasional white balance 'upset' is fully
> corrected, the margin will widen.

Again the grammar is not the best; it should read "If the occasional
white balance 'upset' were fully corrected, the margin would widen."
But I shall not write to him about it ... ;-)

For interest's sake, AP has reviewed the ZD 7-14 (90%), the 14-54
(91% and the 300 (92%).

The increased image size and the beautiful great big LCD on the back
make this a very attractive looking camera.  In addition, the LCD has
modes to provide instant information about the camera settings, it
seems; this would obviate, at least in part, the problem of no top-
plate settings indication.

I am tempted to pretend that I have some spare dosh ...

Chris
~~ >-)-
C M I Barker
Cambridgeshire, Great Britain.