[OM] Re: more pictures

Subject: [OM] Re: more pictures
From: "Wayne Culberson" <waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 08:04:09 -0400

> Wayne:
> Great photos. Reminds me of a trip I took across the Peruvian Andes in
> 1983 (Trujillo to the Rio Maranon).  That was an 11 hour (or so) truck
> ride through a number of such villages.  Interesting people, not unduly
> afraid of photographers, if I remember.

I've experienced some quite diffferent reactions from the people in the
small villages when taking their pictures. About 8 or 9 years ago we were in
a rural area where the people were very fearful of cameras, as they had a
belief that you were actually taking capture a part of their soul if you
took their picture. This was before any of us had digital cameras, so I'm
speculatiing that perhaps they had had someone come through with a polaroid,
and they were shown their own pictures for the first time. So we pretty much
had to put the cameras away in that place, for fear of completely ruining
what we were trying to accomplish.
Where I was for the two trips this year, we didn't encounter any
superstitions like that. For the most part, it was quite the opposite, so
that once you started taking pictures and showing it to them on the LCD,
people were lining up. Of course then you get only stifly posed pictures,
which soon gets pretty boring for me.
Wayne