[OM] Re: OM2 Spot/Program shutter etc problem

Subject: [OM] Re: OM2 Spot/Program shutter etc problem
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2005 21:32:35 -0800
andy pang wrote:

>I had an OM2sp jammed on the winding gear. I open up from the bottom plate
>and compare the gears with my another OM2SP, good one. Turn out that the
>gears somehow "overwound" and click on the wrong place and got stuck. Since
>Igot this 2SP cheap, I might as well test my skill then. I just unscrew a
>fewscrews around the gearing mechanism, move the gears to its "normal"
>position (compared to a good one), and voila, it is working again.
>
>My wife did give me a real big complement this time, for at least not to
>messup another camera.

I've done that too, on other OM bodies.  You don't really need to
unscrew anything but the bottom plate screws to reset it. The problem is
that it will happen again unless you are careful to wind slowly each time.

The longer term solution is to clean all grease off the latches that
catch in the rotary mechanism detents. What happens is that the grease
makes the latches move a little too slowly. So if the rotary mechanism
is moving too fast, it goes by without being stopped by the latches.

Moose