[OM] Re: [OT] Gratuitous Vogons [was German Translation required ...]

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Gratuitous Vogons [was German Translation required ...]
From: "Marc Lawrence" <mlawrence@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2005 10:01:29 +1100

> Winsor Crosby wrote:
> I saw [Hitchhikers Guide...] too, out of curiosity.  I had not read
> it.

In light of what you say about Pratchett, I highly recommend them.

> So I had no comparison. I did not care that much for it. Mildly
> amusing, but pointless, I think, unless it reminded you of the
> more intense experience of reading it at a young age.

Yes, that's about how it felt for me. I actually liked the earlier
BBC TV series far more (the low "Doctor Who"-production values added
to the experience there for me, though I think I've heard somewhere
that Douglas Adams didn't care for that aspect, and had been
wanting a big budget for some time). In the movie, Marvin's voice,
as Moose says, was perfect, and Zaphod was pretty good too. I enjoyed
the movie, but more as an adjunct to the books and TV series (but,
alas, I've not heard the original radio broadcast).

> I recently discovered Terry Pratchett through my 20 something
> nephew.
> Very amusing and entertaining. His collaboration with Neil Gaiman on
> Good Omens is a hoot. The image of Crowley, the demon, racing in the
> night across London in his flaming 1926 Bentley to save the world
> from the Final Judgment, will be forever burned in my imagination.

A favourite quote from 'Good Omens'...

 "Many people, meeting Aziraphale for the first time, formed three
  impressions: that he was English, that he was intelligent, and
  that he was gayer than a tree full of monkeys on nitrous oxide."

It tickles me pink.

My favourite Pratchett books (all Discworld) are probably...

 'Small Gods'

 ""Chain letters," said the Tyrant. "The Chain Letter to the Ephebians.
  Forget Your Gods. Be Subjugated. Learn to Fear. Do not break the
  chain -- the last people who did woke up one morning to find fifty
  thousand armed men on their lawn.""

 'Hogfather', about which Terry wrote:

 ""Let's see, now...in Hogfather there are a number of stabbings,
  someone's killed by a man made of knives, someone's killed by
  the dark, and someone just been killed by a wardrobe. It's a book
  about the magic of childhood. You can tell.""

'Montsrous Regiment'

 "The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred
  to those who think they've found it" and

 "When in doubt, kick 'em in the nadgers and scarper."

and 'Night Watch'

 "The Assassin moved quietly from roof to roof until he was well away
  from the excitement around the Watch House. His movements could be
  called cat-like, except that he did not stop to spray urine up
  against things."
 (...which is actually a darker and more sentimental book than the
  above indicates...but, then, his books often are).

To bring this to photography, Pratchett has, I think, two decent
photographic references in his Discworld books - the first is the
construction of Twoflower's camera in the first books ('The Colour of
Magic' and 'The Light Fantastic'), and then reformed-Vampire
photojournalist in 'The Truth' (a nifty story about the media and
the powers that be). Both (cameras and photographers) play
significant roles.

Cheers,
Marc
Sydney, Oz