[OM] Re: ?simple? problem driving me nuts... calculating magni

Subject: [OM] Re: ?simple? problem driving me nuts... calculating magnification from focal length and focusing distance
From: "Wayne Harridge" <wayneharridge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 22:08:55 +1100

> well I spent a few hours with a sekonic l-358 in reflective
> mode showing raw EV values and my bronica etrsi with the
> lenses set to T i.e. shutter open all the time and the
> sekonic where the film back would be. I measured the light
> loss vs infinity focus for all 6 of my lenses at every
> interval marked on the distance scale. The results are STRANGE..

I'm not surprised that the results are strange.  You are using the exposure
meter in a configuration it was not designed for.  The meter probably has a
simple optical system which when combined with the camera's optical system
(the lens) gives a result which is different to just projecting the image
onto a simple measuring surface.  For example, how well was the optical
system of the meter aligned with the optical axis of the lens ?  What if the
resultant image falls a significant distance in front/behind the measuring
cell ?  Do you have a TTL meter for the Bronica ?  It probably wouldn't read
to 1/6 of a stop, but it will be designed to actually read accurately TTL.

...Wayne