[OM] Re: Can you hear me now?

Subject: [OM] Re: Can you hear me now?
From: Andrew Dacey <adacey@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 15:13:23 -0300
On 10/26/05, Walt Wayman <hiwayman@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> My posts are either (1) not making it through; (2) are appearing long after
> they are sent, or (3) are being ignored.  I see John H. has responded to a
> post about batteries that hasn't even come to me yet, while my instant
> response to his query, suggesting the same supplier, apparently has suffered
> one of the three aforementioned fates.

I received your post about the batteries right away. Some of that
might be explained by how people read the list; if they start with the
oldest messages and reply as they go then they might not see your
reply before sending their own. gmail does a decent job of sorting
things into threads (they call them conversations), so I usually see
all the messages on one topic at once.

Other possibility would be if someone's mail program checks for mail
something like every 10mins or even less frequently than that. John's
message could have popped in on one check before you had sent your
message (or before it arrived on their end).

> I posted a response yesterday to Bill Barber's painting with light problem,
> posing the solution of shining light through the viewfinder rather than
> taking the back off the camera, etc.  I sent it off at 10:30 a.m. my time,
> but it didn't come back to me via the list until after noon.  And then, hours
> later, two or three folks posted the same solution I had suggested, meaning
> they either hadn't received my post, had ignored it, or were blatantly and
> shamelessly stealing my thunder.

I'll confess to ignoring your message :-). Actually, I had only
skimmed it but missed your suggestion about shining light through the
viewfinder and then replied to the next message suggesting that.

Slowdowns with mail can happen. The process here will be something
like, message is sent to your ISP's outgoing mail server (SMTP
server), it's placed into a queue for sending. Then it gets sent to
the SMTP server for the list and gets put in a queue to be delivered.
Then it's delivered to the list server. The list server the queues it
to be sent back out. It goes back to the list ISP's SMTP server and
gets queued to be sent out then comes back to your ISP's server and
gets queued for delivery and then gets delivered back to you. That's a
lot of queues to go through. At any point during that there could be
slowdowns (such as somebody on the service having a mass mailer virus
that's sending out thousands of messages). Not to mention that if
there are any problems with reaching the other server at any point
then it will hold onto the message and try again later.