[OM] Re: Shots again the E-500

Subject: [OM] Re: Shots again the E-500
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 06:37:38 -0400
Moose wrote:

> I'm not sure they are really boxed in. I really think 4/3" 12+mp sensors
> with adequate noise characteristics are possible in the not too distant
> future. I just don't see where there will be a need for any more sensor
> resolution than that for any but certain pro and specialty uses.

I didn't mean to imply that they can't get enough resolution on the
sensor.  The following link shows that Kodak is thinking 16mp for the
4/3 sensor.  Clearly enough to exceed 35mm film.  I found this link
interesting because I'm almost positive it has been updated and used to
peak at 12mp... which was already probably enough to better 35mm.
<http://www.kodak.com/global/plugins/acrobat/en/digital/ccd/papersArticles/4-3TypeImageSensors.pdf>

I consider them boxed in because the sensor size is fixed at smaller
than everybody else.  Regradless of the resolution their noise
performance will probably always be worse.  On the other hand, "worse"
is not bad if whatever it is is good enough.

It would be interesting to know the actual resolving power of the
digital Zuikos.  That would tell you what sensor resolution Oly was
ultimately planning on.

Chuck Norcutt