[OM] Re: Shots again the E-500

Subject: [OM] Re: Shots again the E-500
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2005 22:58:40 -0700
Wayne Harridge wrote:

>I believe the trade-off is small & bright vs large & dim.

At least in theory. But the designers have another problem. The
marketing folks have, quite correctly for survival in the market, forced
the lens folks to develop relatively small, cheap entry level zooms. So
the bodies have to deal with max apertures down in the f5 range, because
their own brand kit lenses are only that fast at the long ends. So the
"choice" becomes small and bright with fast lenses and small and not
very bright with slower lenses. Large and dim would depend on something
like f2.8 min apertures on most general purpose lenses.

Understand that I personally am not complaining. Although older than the
baby boom, I am blessed with excellent eyesight, especially in my
shooting eye. So even the penta-mirror supposed horror of the 300D with
a slow zoom works rather well for me. On the other hand, if other
factors lead me to a 5D, I will welcome a FF viewfinder.

Moose