[OM] Re: OT - we have a problem...

Subject: [OM] Re: OT - we have a problem...
From: jking@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 13:00:20 +0100 (BST)
> There must be something wrong with the other clocks in your house.
> Surely, a Mac wouldn't have a bug.
>
> Chuck Norcutt
>
> Andrew Fildes wrote:
>
>> Bugger - sorry about the clock. Every time I shut down it reverts to
>> 10am on some date in 1972! Only happened since I went to OS 10.4 -
>> any Mac users know how to fix that one?
>> I always thought that the opposite extreme to anal retention was oral
>> gratification...
>> AndrewF

Unix calculates the current time by looking at the number of milliseconds
expired since a date in early 1970 - which was its birth. If you computers
hardware clock has failed/lost its contents/not incrementing when you
would indeed get a data around 1970s.
Sounds to me like a hardware problem. inside most computes there is a real
time clock which is kept alive when the computer is off either via a
rechargable battery or a low loss capacitor. Sounds like the real time
clock has either failed or the battery died. I don't know about the mac
but on the pc all the configuration data for the pc is also held by the
real time clock in cmos memory (low power consumption) if the clock loses
power the pc will complain about loss of configuaration data. Have you had
any such message?
Regards
James