[OM] Re: back for a bit

Subject: [OM] Re: back for a bit
From: Joel Wilcox <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2005 14:55:07 -0500
On 10/16/05, Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >One mistake I did of late with the E-1 was to upgrade to the latest
> >firmware, version 1.4. Now the auto-focus goes crazy every
> >now and then and refuses to focus, or racks between infinity
> >and close focus. I have often had to switch it to manual just to
> >take pictures. Why Olympus can not let users roll back the firmware
> >is beyond me. I write firmware for embedded devices, and there
> >is no technical reason you cannot do it.
> >
> One can do it with the Can*ns, at least the 300D I have.
>
> >So the experience of
> >using the camera at a recent wedding has convinced me to
> >abandon the E-1 in favor of something else. I liked the OM's
> >because I could shoot in low light. The E-1 just does not quite
> >follow in that ability. The problem was so bad I switched on the
> >auto-focus assist light, thinking that would help, but no luck.
> >I was back to manual focus. I can just no longer trust the
> >camera for focusing.
> >
> That has been a known weakness of the E-1 from the start. It just does
> not have low light AF as fast or effective as some other DSLRs. Brief
> testing in a store is one reason I didn't buy an E-1. It was slow to
> focus and had a tendency to hunt in light and at longer focal lengths
> where other SLRs focused quickly and effectively. The 300D I did buy is
> significantly better than the E-1, and there are others even better.

My experience is that the 1.4 firmware upgrade improved the speed of
AF in low light without compromising anything that had previously
worked well.  I sort of suspect there might be a more fundamental
problem with Wayne's camera.  What he describes is not the behavior of
any "known weakness" with the E-1 IMHO.

Joel W.