[OM] Re: Made in China?

Subject: [OM] Re: Made in China?
From: jking@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 11:46:59 +0100 (BST)

> Back in the 1960s being labelled "Made in Japan" was synonymous with
> "cheap
> plastic crap".
>
> Perhaps the PRC will producing the world's high end mechandise in a
> generation? Watch out Detroit!

I go to china 3 times per year. My experiences of the products is that the
items for sale in china made in china where far better quality than the
made in china exports to the uk e.g. clothes. I assume this is because if
a company wants to move production to china it wants to shave off every
last penny from the costs and this will result in poor goods regardless of
anything else.
Certainly in the hifi field the chinese are starting to produces some
nicely made cd/dvd audio players and valve amps. neither of which are easy
to make for diametrically opposite reasons... In point of fact many of the
*quality* UK hifi (not junk fi) companies now have production plants only
in china e.g. Quad.
anyway my 2pence worth
James