[OM] Re: Best Flash for the E-series

Subject: [OM] Re: Best Flash for the E-series
From: hiwayman@xxxxxxx (Walt Wayman)
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 20:17:34 +0000
I shoulda got all this together before I posted to begin with.  I hate replying
to myself, but here goes:

I just took a look at the foot of my puny little FL-20.  I assume it's the same
as the rest of the digital flashes.  It has no pushy-uppy hickey, which leads
me, rightly or wrongly, to conclude that, since the E-1 hot shoe has a place
for the pushy-uppy hickey to drop down into, Olympus intended, without
admitting as much, that we could use our T flashy things and live happily ever
after -- at least those of us old enough to know how to work with guide numbers
and non-TTL flash and that sort of old-timey, old-fart, primitive crap.

And it's so much easier with digital, when, besides changing aperture, you can
change "film" speeds from 100, to 200, 400, 800, etc.  Couldn't do that way
back when you were stuck with whatever speed film you loaded.  It also helps to
remember that a couple of fingers over the flash -- three in the case of the
T45 -- cuts light output in half.

Walt, who learned flash photography with Sylvania blue flashbulbs and Honeywell
potato mashers

--
"Anything more than 500 yards from
the car just isn't photogenic." --