[OM] Re: FL-50 problems

Subject: [OM] Re: FL-50 problems
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 15:27:25 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 12 Oct 2005, Wiliam Wagenaar wrote:

> My problem is that on TTL-Auto mode I do not get a pre-flash and the
> resulting picture is not as well (consitently) exposed as I was used form my
> OM-2n and T-32 combo. Also when I ise TTL-auto it seems to me that more
> power is used from the capacitator than is used when the flas is on normal
> auto, resulting in longer recycling times.

The pre-flash should not be noticeable, it's a very quick burst performed
just before the main flash.  So that part is normal.  There have been reports
of inconsistent TTL exposures with the FL-50.  I find I get inconsistent
results as well so I've been using mostly regular auto mode.  I find it is
far more consistent with bounce lighting.  Supposedly sending the E-1 along
with the FL-50 back to Olympus for adjustment will fix the problem.  I've
been meaning to do this but I haven't gotten around to it yet.  I suppose
I should do it before my warranty runs out at the end of the month :-)
                                        -mark