[OM] Re: E-thing guys - couple of questions

Subject: [OM] Re: E-thing guys - couple of questions
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 07:42:56 -0700 (PDT)
As to emptying cards, I always use in-camera format to "erase" a
CF.  And I do so in the camera in which it is being used.  (I
have two different brands of digital cameras).

> Weird.  These are the fast Lexar
> cards, so they're not from Joe's Memory Chips.

Surprisingly enough, the lower cost cards from Sandisk and Lexar
are not quite as slow as they used to be.  Evidently, they share
much of the electronics with the high-end cards and really
aren't that slow anymore.  I haven't done any timing tests,
lately, but my latest CF purchase (low-end Sandisk) is the same
speed in the A1 as the 40X, but barely noticable increase in
wait time than the 40X in the E-1.

> Second, I'm about to spend a weekend in Los Angeles, and plan
> on shooting a bunch.  However, I will have limited access to
> offline storage, so I may shoot big-ass jpegs instead of raw.

Unless you are shooting something with immense amounts of
pattern-like detail, you will be hard pressed to see any
difference in PRINT QUALITY between SHQ and HQ. The E-1 does HQ
extremely well.  For the most part, I use either HQ or RAW.
Sometimes both.

> My biggest concern is getting the white balance right.

Auto does pretty well, but will skew a bit in wierd indoor
lighting. It's also a touch cool (blue) for my tastes.  However,
The E-1 has the nifty ability to custom offset your WB settings.
 In my camera AWB is set to -1, Sunlight (5300) is also set to
-1 and the Tungsten settings are set to +1.

When shooting during the "golden hours" or pre/post sunset, I
highly recommend that you choose "cloudy" (6000) instead of
letting the AWB screw it up.

My "go anywhere, shoot anytime" settings is something like this:
HQ, AWB, CS2, -1 Contrast, +2 Sharpen.  These will go straight
to the printer without any PP.  When the light gets low
(outdoors) I switch to Cloudy (6000).

Oh, if you are using a non-dedicated electronic flash, I
recommend switching the WB to Cloudy (6000).

AG
AG

Yahoo! Music Unlimited
http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited/