[OM] Re: E-thing guys - couple of questions

Subject: [OM] Re: E-thing guys - couple of questions
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 06:59:31 -0400
Paul Braun wrote:

> First, do you find that if you empty a CF card with a card reader and
> not the camera, that the camera still shows it as full until you
> re-format it?  I've run into that a couple of times.  Also, I ran into a
> problem Sunday that an empty card showed it only had room for 2 raw
> files, even after a reformat.  Re-seated the card, re-formatted one more
> time, and the full 48 showed up.  Weird.  These are the fast Lexar
> cards, so they're not from Joe's Memory Chips.

You don't say how you are moving images from camera to computer.
Assuming you are simply using Windows "drag and drop" you will get
different results depending on whether you use the left or right mouse
button when you drag.  If you use the right mouse button you will get a
pop-up menu when you release the button that will allow you to choose
between "copy" and "move".  If you use the left mouse button during the
drag you will get a "move" operation by default.

"Move" means to first copy the file from the source to the destination
folder and then delete it from the destination.  However, if the source
and destination folders are on different drives (as, for example, hard
drive and CF card) the "move" operation is converted to a "copy" unless
you are holding the shift key while dragging.

To quote from the Windows notes on drag and drop:
If you drag using the right mouse button, a menu appears with the
commands Move Here, Copy Here, Create Shortcut(s) Here, and Cancel.
Click the command you want.
To copy the item instead of moving it, press and hold down CTRL while
dragging.
If you drag an item to another disk, it is copied, not moved. To move
the item, press and hold down SHIFT while dragging.

Now, after all of that I would recommend that you *never* use a Windows
"move" operation with your CF card.  Don't give Windows the opportunity
to write something back to your card.  Just copy the card, don't try to
"empty" it.  Let the camera and only the camera do the "emptying". After
copying the files to the computer AND after making a backup copy put the
card back into the camera and format it.

> Second, I'm about to spend a weekend in Los Angeles, and plan on
> shooting a bunch.  However, I will have limited access to offline
> storage, so I may shoot big-ass jpegs instead of raw.
>
> My biggest concern is getting the white balance right.  If I do that,
> what are the pros and cons of shooting raw vs. big-ass jpeg?  I can get
> a bunch more images in my allotted 1gb of cards that way...

If you're shooting in daylight you shouldn't have any problem with white
balance set to daylight.  Set it to "auto" if you tend to forget to
change it.  In "auto" it may not be perfect but is probably close enough
that the JPEG can be tweaked if necessary.  Finally, set custom white
balance whenever the light changes appreciably if you want to be spot on.

ps:
Your comment about getting only 48 raw images on a 1GB card while others
report 90 is a bit wierd.  Even if you were shooting raw + JPEG you
should get more than 48.  I would format the card in the camera and then
take it over to your computer and ask Windows to report the properties
of the CF card.  Make sure it's reporting close to 1GB available space.
  My 1GB SanDisk card reports capacity of 1,023,623,168 bytes or 976 MB.

Is it possible that you've bought a 512MB card that's labeled 1GB?

Chuck Norcutt