[OM] Re: Image Critique requested.

Subject: [OM] Re: Image Critique requested.
From: Manuel Viet <oly@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2005 17:36:08 +0200
Le mercredi 05 Octobre 2005 16:45, Patrick Moore a écrit :

> I think it's one of the best photos of my mum I've seen, albeit it's hardly
> the most flattering ;)
> http://the.earth.li/~paddy/image011.jpg if you want a closer look.

First things first, I'd love to be able to reach the same balance of lightings
every time - or even once. I've done worse, and I still do, so I feel a
certain guilt while I polish my sarcasms. But as litterary critics prove it
every now and then, there's no need to be a successful artist to become a
good judge of somebody's else work. So I'll take the chance.

Overall, the quality of the shot is astounding. The balance between all the
various subjects is near perfect. Just to be picky, I regret that the left
hand side of the pic is a bit too dark ; there should have been a way to
extract the left shoulder from the seat fabric. Instead, they melt to the
point where you can't distinguish the gap. Overexposing the shot by 2/3 stop
may help.

Quality wise, there are too much spots on the print, I suspect that you may
have dried the negative with a cloth or something, because there are visible
lines of "dust" crossing the print from left to right (bottom left, top
right, and more annoyingly, crossing the hair of the left hand lady).

Finally, I find the composition all right (I especially like the blurry face
of the waiter in the top middle) except for one thing : the background,
bended, waiter looks like a shrink picking up thoughts through the skull of
the lady in the foreground. I find it very disturbing. If you had waited for
maybe five seconds to catch him blurry as the other while lifting up, I would
have ranked the shot very high.

Maybe you should vastly crop inside the pic, to isolate the center lady from
everything else and make a true portrait of her.

--
Manuel Viet