[OM] Re: Semi-OT - ethical dilemma

Subject: [OM] Re: Semi-OT - ethical dilemma
From: Andrew Dacey <adacey@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2005 11:48:14 -0300
On 10/5/05, Barry B. Bean <bbbean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> If I buy from the photographer, he takes the proceeds, and I pay just a
> little more than 1/2 what I bid at the auction. On the other hand, if I buy
> the print from the organization, a good cause benefits, but
> I'm out nearly twice as much $$$, and the photographer gets nothing.

Scott offers one interesting option which could work if you have the $
and/or could use the write off.

If you're in the position of really only being able to buy 1 then I'd
say it's best to look at your motivations for bidding on the print.
Was your primary motivation to support the charitable cause or was it
to acquire the print? I'd say it sounds like a bit of both but one is
probably a stronger motivation than the other. I'm not saying that
either way is "good" or "bad". Depending on the photographer's level
of success you could still feel good about giving them a sale as
opposed to picking up a print that was donated.

Another thought that just ocured to me would be to buy the print from
the photographer and make a donation to the organisation for the
difference in the 2 prices. You get the print and a tax write off, the
photographer gets paid and the organisation gets some support from you
and still has the print to sell to someone else to raise further
funds.