[OM] Re: now OT Re: copyright watermarks

Subject: [OM] Re: now OT Re: copyright watermarks
From: "Bob Whitmire" <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 09:02:26 -0400
I rode across much of what is now Eritrea on first, a 250 Yamaha Enduro,
followed by a 1940 500cc Moto Guzzi which came with the Italian Army during
World War II, followed at last by a 650 Yamaha, the first year they built
them. I'd ordered a Norton Commando, but some kind of dock strike in England
prevented it from being shipped, so I settled for the Yamaha, which the Army
generously (cough-cough!) shipped back to the States. It took nearly six
months to get here (S.S. Noonday), and when it arrived it had been sitting
in a foot of water in the hold for most of that time. I got it fixed at
Uncle Sugar's expense, and took off across the country. The bike broke down
outside Denver, and was stolen before I could get back for it. Fully
insured, which was nice. Was bikeless for a few years before buying a 900CC
BMW, which was so quiet I couldn't hear it run, and so smooth I thought I
was on a magic carpet. My wife and I used to take off early Sunday mornings
and do a hundred fifty miles or so on a big loop that included the Blue
Ridge Parkway past Mt. Pisgah above Asheville, N.C. That Beemer was one
sweet bike. Never a moment's trouble in all the time I owned it. Finally
sold it when No. 1 son was born and used the money to buy a white four-door
sedan. Arrrrgggggg!

--Bob