[OM] Re: [[ Am I going to regret my choice?

Subject: [OM] Re: [[ Am I going to regret my choice?
From: "Hans van Veluwen" <hans.van.veluwen@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 13:48:56 +0200
> I think it highly unlikely that the Oly 4/3 adapter is "too thin" or
> that the Kindai is manufactured more accurately.  0.1mm would
> be a gross
> error for even the sloppiest machine shop.  Even if the
> adapter was off
> by 0.3mm in thickness I doubt seriously that such a small positioning
> error could be detected at the gross level of the focusing scale.

: I wouldn't be surprised if Olympus deliberately made the adapter a bit
: thinner than the correct register distance would indicate.  After all
this
: would allow you to focus past infinity, possibly useful if the
infinity
: "stop" on the lens is not 100% accurate.

This is probably correct.

Yesterday I did some photomicroscopic test shots using my E-300, the Oly
4/3 OM adapter, the OM-mount photomicro adapter L on my Olympus
trinocular microscope. I needed some serious refocusing when switching
the light beam from the normal observation oculars to the photo tube -
much more as when an OM body is mounted; this only needs some minor
finetuning.

The shots were ok, btw. I used the Aperture priority auto mode, a
positive exposure compensation (+1.5) and the new anti-shock mirror mode
(provided in the latest update of the firmware).

Hans