[OM] Re: TTL fill-in flash for OM

Subject: [OM] Re: TTL fill-in flash for OM
From: Fernando Gonzalez Gentile <fgnzalez@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 15:51:34 -0300
Adam, Chuck, Ling, all...

Well I find this an interesting on topic thread.
In fact I was going to write Chuck offlist, but last night decided to read
first my two T-32 manuals.
Perhaps Adam could tell which discussion in the archives would arise a
dejá-vu / dejá veçu experience. It would be quite helpful, the archives are
usually difficult to dig.

Reading the T-32 manual, I found an instruction about how to compensate
flash exposure when main subject is in front of a dark or a white
background.
It simply says to turn shutter comp dial to (+) if background is dark, and
to (-) is background is clear and reflective.
This made me conclude that the shutter comp dial does make flash dump
increase or decrease.
Of course it does not mention as John Lind does, when to turn the unit ON;
but I never turn it ON before mounting since this usually makes flash full
dump.

I do think a 2n or a 4 locks at 1/60. Not having a 4, I can only guess that
the reason a 2n seems to change the shutter speed when
the compensation dial is turned is because needle is governed by the CdS
cells.
Which leads me to ask:
1- Why does the T-32 manual insist on the meter needle pointing at 1/30
'just in case framing changes' or something like this. Isn't it supposed to
be locked at 1/60, regardless needle indication? Would this warning be
written just in case SS goes up to ~1/125?
2- Cannot understand the 'needle behaviour' of the 4, since it does not have
CdS _ only the SBC to control meter display.

My regular practice is the KISS adviced by Adam; and when I get serious I go
Manual (see results in TOPE 1 and 22).

Hope this thread keeps going...

Fernando.