[OM] Re: TTL fill-in flash for OM

Subject: [OM] Re: TTL fill-in flash for OM
From: "Adam Long" <adamlong@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 18:27:23 +0100
> The overflash technique may come in handy anyway. I saved it on my laptop and
> have a hard copy.
>   Looks like non TTl-auto with ND filters is the only way with my OM-2.
> Just for clarification with ND filters---the thyristor on the flash---(283 or
> T20) does not have a filter so I would assume that if I wanted 2 stops less
> from the flash as fill with a 2 stop ND, I would set the flash as if needed
> provide 100% of the light???  The max flash to subject distance would be
> calculated with the original aperture pre-ND filter.  This seems to be a
> confusing
> area.  Thanks for the re-clarification to those newer to the area.
> Mike G

No, the sensor on the flash still measures the flash output as it happens.
Whether you cover the flash tube or the sensor, more light will just be pumped
out to compensate.
For fill flash on auto, forget the ND filters and just dial in the ISO on the
flash two stops faster than the film the camera is set for.
ie - you have iso 100 in the camera, set 400 on the flash (assuming you want
the fill two stops below the main lighting.) The proceed as normal for auto
flash - the flash thinks the film is faster so issues less light.
However, remember that the auto sensor on the flash is just a simple
centre-weighted type and will be fooled by a background that is either dark or
far away (as it usually is for portraits...) I'd go for manual  - it's no more
hassle than using the flash on auto and the results are much more predictable.
Adam

-- Type: text/plain
-- Desc: "AVG certification"