[OM] Re: Some images from my trip - and a Challenge!

Subject: [OM] Re: Some images from my trip - and a Challenge!
From: Joel Wilcox <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 22:58:15 -0500
On 9/27/05, Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >Probably just the difficult circumstances, possibly white balance issues,
> >and maybe AdobeRGB too. All images look better
> >in PS than in the browser.
> >

> Camera only does sRGB. On my screen, they look very similar in Firefox
> as in PS, although a black vs. neutral gray background does have a
> visual effect.

Whoa.  I could have sworn it showed AdobeRGB in the exif data.

 > >Most images, including my favorites, look like they would improve
with some PP, or more PP, especially in terms of color balance and
contrast.

> PP? Not sure what you mean. PS? Virtually all of them have had some
> local contrast adjustment and many have had brightness, contrast, shadow
> and/or curves adjustments. I admit to color balance issues, not my
> strongest point anyway, and very difficult lighting. For example, I know
> that the stone in the background of Clois1001 was gray.

Post processing.

> On the other
> hand, if I make it really gray, some of the colors of the figures get
> very strange. So I went with a compromise where the stone is too warm,
> but the figures look close to my memory of them. I know the black face
> wasn't a weird blue, which is what it becomes with gray stone. In a
> couple of shots with blank backgrounds, I simply replaced the background
> mottled by changing lighting with something sampled from one part of the
> background and made it all even.
>
> As to brightness and contrast, those are to my taste on my monitor. Any
> particular ones where you would change it?

Not really.  Just a little color balance shift if possible, though I
suspect that with the amount of PP you've already done, it's probably
the best one can do.

> >I have no idea what camera.  Not a Lumix I'll wager, but I haven't a clue.
> >

> Not a Lumix. Lumix noise at higher isos is much greater. As with Bill's
> suggestion, by the time a camera is that big, I'll just carry a DSLR.
> For me, the break point seems to be pocket/belt pouchable vs. strap/bag.
> The next break for me is where the camera/kit just gets too heavy to
> carry comfortably for long
>
> Moose

One thing I failed to note in the previous:  seems to be a 4:3 aspect
ratio, n'est-ce pas?

Joel W.