[OM] Re: Trolloiing for reasponses from all you "too professional" old p

Subject: [OM] Re: Trolloiing for reasponses from all you "too professional" old pros here
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 12:26:12 -0700 (PDT)
> AG, thanks for the overview of your workflow.  You mention
> 13x19" prints, so I assume you're using a Canon printer...

Yes, I'm using an S9000. I'm also using bulk inks.  A
highest-quality 13x19 takes just about three minutes to print on
the S9000. :)  But then, the Ilford Classic paper takes
overnight to dry...

Overall, the S9000 has been a tremendous investment.  Probably
getting a bit long in the tooth now, but still chugging away.
Between my wife and I we crank enough pages through it that I'm
refilling one or two tanks every week.  Maybe once every couple
of months I'll do a large printing project where I'll go through
six or eight tanks.  I should find a replacement head as one
hole got damaged from snagging on some paper.

I'm looking at the possiblity of getting an Epson pigment
printer for final prints, but I can't quite get the financials
to work out.  The pro-lab that I use has just raised their
prices AGAIN on FCA prints, so the numbers are getting closer.
However, for proof prints, there is no reason why I'd not
continue to use the higher-speed, lower operating cost Canon.

The only thing that makes DIY prints economically feasable is
bulk purchases of ink and paper.  I have no idea how anybody can
afford to feed an HP printer!  Even the new Epson pigment
printers are beyond crazy when it comes to per print cost.

My cost-per print in the chemical darkroom is far less than
digital output--even considering labour.  This is one case where
new technology is not better or even less expensive than old
technology.  Oh, I'm looking forward to a B&W order arriving
this week for something like 200-250 8x10 and 11x14 prints.
Might have to hire a temp to help me with that one. Especially
since all will be archival fiber-based prints!  Stand back to
see the water bill--glad I'm using alkaline fixer.

That one project, alone, would pay for a wee-bit of F2 ZD glass,
except I've been informed that the Quattro has to be paid off
first.  :(

A mid-life crisis is such a pain.

AG

http://mail.yahoo.com