[OM] ((OM)) Om-photography - a challenge

Subject: [OM] ((OM)) Om-photography - a challenge
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 18:57:55 +1200
Hi all

Several people have voiced their disappointment and dismay at the declining
state of film and OM photography on this list. And also discussion about OM
gear.

Well, this is a challenge to those who still enjoy film photography.

It is natural, and human nature, to want to explore something that is new.
So, people are very curious about the E-series and others.
But has each one of us explored and got the most out of our OMs and film?
I think not, and just look at the quality of the two sets of shots that have
come to date from an OM1 and the Olympus Odyssey.

There are a lot of things that E- cameras struggle with and or fail. For
example, you may note that many photographers avoid bright sky in shots
were other subject matter is a bit dark. Why? Because the latitude of the E-
cameras is rather small. Print film has probably a wider latitude.  Very wide
angle lenses at an economical price are another point. My Sigma 16mm
fisheye seems to deliver surprisingly high quality on an OM.
Shift lenses are another point; with much of a shift, a shift lens on an E-
camera is difficult to get good results from. No problem with film.

Then, there is the image quality. We have all seen comments by now about
the plastic look of human skin as captured by electrons, as compared with
the look of skin recorded on film.

And there's the troublesome matter of digital image permanence.
(I cannot buy the gold CDROMs as the makers provide no means to sell
outside the USA and do not reply to e-mails).
Film seems to last OK.

If you haven't got a web-site yet with your images, get one and show us what
you can do. Participate in print exchanges; they're fun, and provide an
opportunity for you to see just what you can actually do with your OM if you
try..

I see no need for film to roll over and play dead. Film photography is very
rewarding, and it is up to the user to discover this for themselves, just as it
always has been.

Brian