[OM] Re: Lighting ideas for use with OM and e-1 cameras - watch out, thi

Subject: [OM] Re: Lighting ideas for use with OM and e-1 cameras - watch out, this is on topic!
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2005 22:35:08 -0400
NSURIT@xxxxxxx wrote:

> Does anyone out there in Zuikoland have any suggestions for a simple
> effective lighting setup which could be used to give the appearance of a soft
>
> natural window light?
------------------------------------

If I could figure out how to simulate window light I might be rich.  I
have no idea about how well this might work but the first thing that
comes to mind is a really large diffuser.  What comes to mind is Scott
Smith's large diffuseion panels made from rip stop nylon and PVC pipe
frames.  <http://www.lightingmagic.com/difpanel.htm>  He also makes a
really large one for groups <http://www.lightingmagic.com/kidpanel.htm>
which actually costs less than the regular panel.

You'll have to figure out how to light this with some sort of
constant-on source other than flash.  I'm wondering how a couple of low
cost halogen work lights would do such as
<http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=47410>
  or more power and with a stand
<http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=74025-290-TQS1000&lpage=none>

Another option might be a large bank of daylight fluorescent tubes
behind the diffuser panel.  You'd probably have to mount them on some
sort of frame.  Maybe PVC pipe for cost and weight.  You didn't say how
portable this setup has to be.

I have a couple of 250 watt bulbs mounted in $10 aluminum reflectors
from Lowes which can be controlled with ordinary incandescent light
dimmers.  Put out a lot of heat though.

I judge the chance of real success to be small but the cost of trying
isn't too great.  Hopefully, others will have some better ideas.

Chuck Norcutt