[OM] Re: OM macro lenses?

Subject: [OM] Re: OM macro lenses?
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2005 19:42:06 -0400
Piers Hemy wrote:

> Chuck's question is easier to answer:
>
> Remember two principles:
> The shorter the focal length on a given format, the greater the depth of
> field;
> The smaller the format on a given focal length, the greater the depth of
> field.
>
> In this case we have a very short focal length on a very small format.  The
> image is producedinitially as an aerial image on the focal plane of the CCTV
> lens, which the macro lens then "emlarges" to fill the 35mm format.

I must be dense since I have to admit that it didn't help me at all.  I
accept that we have a short focal length which is good for depth of
field but I don't see that magnifying the aerial image to fill the 35mm
format has anything to do with it.  Another rule about depth of field is
that the more you magnify an image (read this as = longer effective
focal length) the less the depth of field.  In other words, the bigger
we make it the fuzzier it looks to our eyes.  I don't see any difference
between doing that with one lens or many.

What don't I understand?

Chuck Norcutt