[OM] Re: [OT] Victimizing the victims

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Victimizing the victims
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2005 07:45:02 -0400
Jonas Otter wrote:

> Interestingly, I read somewhere that the concept of "race" is invalid, since
> the genetical variation between individuals of the same "race" is
> statistically
> larger than the variation between individuals independent of "race" (however
> that works).
Hmmm.  Me thinks the sociological thinking is a bit twisted here by
trying to obviate the obvious.

This statement is probably true if you'd like to consider the entire
genome but very untrue if you consider only those characteristics that
we visually identify with race such as skin and hair color, etc.  No one
is likely to visually confuse me (a northern europeon/american-indian
mix) with Maitani San.

If the concept of race was invalid we'd have been unable to formulate it
in the first place.  What's invalid is applying statistics to data that
is meaningless relative to our conventional definition of race.

Chuck Norcutt