[OM] Re: Quick & Dirty Flash Advice

Subject: [OM] Re: Quick & Dirty Flash Advice
From: Peter Leyssens <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2005 23:12:49 +0200

Bob,

Bob Whitmire wrote:
> So, I'm an idiot when it comes to flash, and all I have for my E-1 is the
> rinky-dink FL-20 (?) that came with it. So tomorrow morning I'm going out on
> a lobster boat to do some shooting. We're leaving the dock at 4:30 a.m.,
> which is and hour and a half before sunrise. I can see the possibility of
> some flash pictures early, and some fill-flash pictures later as the sun
> pops over the horizon. I wonder if anyone can give me a quick and dirty, set
> your shutter speed for this, your f-stop for that and your flash for this,
> kind of advice.

I've recently become a cynic about flash usage, out of personal
experience and hearing from somebody else: a respectable photographer
told me hardly any of his customers are able to use flash decently.
"Except for this one guy, but then he put in a tremendous amount of
effort to find out exactly the behaviour at lots of settings in lots of
circumstances."

You'll get cave-like pictures at night, which might be charming by
itself.  But as soon as the twilight starts, set up a tripod on the
boat.  You'll get the boat steady, the people in action and the horizon
all shaken up&down.  That always makes for interesting pictures :)

Peter.