[OM] Re: tripod for OM cameras (now architectural interiors)

Subject: [OM] Re: tripod for OM cameras (now architectural interiors)
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 13:31:44 -0400
Earl Dunbar wrote:

> Strong ambient light is a problem with interiors that can be tough to
> solve without flash.  A classic approach is double exposure, but mixing
> light source types (tungsten and/or flourescent with daylight) is very
> tricky ... much easier to do with b&w.  It's also hardly practical when
> you are living in or using the space.
>
> You could use tungsten studio lighting with gel filters over the sources
> to balance the colour temperature, but again it takes a lot of effort.
> Using bounced flash (with proper TTL or a flash meter) is the "easiest",
> but it normally takes an assistant and as you say, you can't preview on
> film unless you have a Polaroid camera for proofing.  A flash meter,
> especially one that can record multiple readings so you can meter
> different areas, is almost mandatory if you can't preview or use a
> Polaroid.  How about using a small digicam to proof the lighting ratios?

I'm with Earl on this one.  Don't mix light sources.  Use flash with
plenty of diffusion such as umbrellas or softboxes.  Use a meter or
preview with a digicam as long as it can fire the larger flashes.  If
you're using hotshoe flash units like T-32's you can put them on tripods
or lightstands on top of optical slave units.  You can buy these for
about 10-12 apiece at Ritz.  They have a 1/4-20 tripod socket on the
bottom and a hot shoe on top.  The digicam will, however, have to allow
some manual settings.

Chuck Norcutt