[OM] Re: Telecentricity

Subject: [OM] Re: Telecentricity
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 15:56:39 -0400
Andreas Pirner wrote:

> For a perfect telcentricity it should be
> 42-43mm, the diagonal of the film area,
> shouldn't it? I dunno about wide angle
> lens design AND doing that telecentric.
> Maybe that involves even wider elements
> (no, should not).

You're right.  For perfect telecentricity the exit pupil should be at
infinity and the diameter of the light cone would be equal to the
diagonal of the sensor.  Winsor mentioned that the Nikon 17-35 has its
exit pupil 100mm from the sensor.  This is a bit more rational number
but one can see that the farther out it moves the diameter of the light
cone at the rear element will get larger.  But in no case does it have
to be larger than the diagonal of the sensor.

Chuck Norcutt