[OM] Re: OK, I did it. There will be at least one Zuikohead at the APUG

Subject: [OM] Re: OK, I did it. There will be at least one Zuikohead at the APUG C...
From: Andrew Dacey <adacey@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 11:29:48 -0300
On 8/24/05, NSURIT@xxxxxxx <NSURIT@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> The universe in which I operate is that of "camera as tool" and as such it
> is not a question of switching, but rather of augmentation of the tools
> available.  Yes, I really like digital and have used it much more than I've
> used
> film since the acquisition of the e-1.  This is due in part to my  fondness
> for
> much of what digital offers and also that I find myself taking more  pictures
> because digital does that to you.  You get instant feedback and  "no cost"
> proofs.  That being said, my Bessa II MF folder just arrived  yesterday and
> I'm
> almost through with my second test roll.  I'm taking my  Agfa Clack MF apart
> this morning to see about cleaning the lens again as some of  my images where
> pretty soft and I did a field cleaning job in my Suburban in 100  degree +
> temperature using my swiss army knife as my tool kit.  Film is  alive at my
> house
> and it doesn't have an exclusive contract anymore.  Bill  Barber

Yes, I understand that philosophy and it's similar to my own. One of
the things I like best about my OM's is that I don't really think
about using the camera, I just use it. What I mean by that is that I'm
just aware of taking the picture and I don't have to think about what
I'm doing with the camera to get the shot. There's a little bit of
awareness like making sure I'm using a fast enough shutter speed to
for handheld shots but not much. It doesn't intrude very much, if at
all, into the process.

My biggest concern with going digital is that I'll lose that feeling
with the new body and have to concentrate more on the use of the
camera and not the actual act of taking the picture. A lot of that
will be due to body selection and familiarity with the body so
hopefully I can avoid it.

Given how much I've been enjoying shooting B&W I suspect I'll be
sticking with film for some time but it may lose its exclusive
contract as it has in your house.