[OM] Re: Polarizer question

Subject: [OM] Re: Polarizer question
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 20:18:40 +1000
I tend to think that a good filter cannot improve a poor lens and
that a poor filter CAN degrade a good lens - too much evidence from
too many sources. However, I suspect that a good MC filter could
improve the tendency of a poorly coated lens to flare off the font
elements - act as a flare supressor to some extent. Of course, i
don't own any poor lenses that I could test :)
I've managed to get good filters at low prices often enough not to
make it a necessity to mess around with low grade items. I am amazed
by how much people spend on questionable filters, often at point of
sale. I'm clumsy enough to make a B+W or Heliopan UV 010 a good
precaution for knock and dirt  and I have acquired several at bargain
prices at various times. Plus the coating on the German ones is
scratch resistant too and the brass doesn't bind.
Polarisers I've found to be much more variable ranging from blue to
grey to warm tones between brands and the expensive ones don't always
give the most pleasing effect.
AndrewF