[OM] Re: OT system for sale

Subject: [OM] Re: OT system for sale
From: NSURIT@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 08:57:05 EDT

In a message dated 8/19/2005 6:55:52 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

I really  have no idea of it's worth, so I guess I'll have to search around a
bit on  the auction site. Also, I don't know whether to try listing it as a
system,  or individual pieces.

To maximize his return, he or you should IMHO:

1) Research past auctions to see at what price similar equipment in similar
condition has sold.

2) Clean it very well.  For me that means going over it with a  toothbrush,
followed by q-tips and cotton balls lightly damped with denatured  alcohol.

3) Give an absolutely accurate description of condition (both the good and
the bad).

4) Offer a money back guarantee if buyer is dissatisfied upon receipt and
returns item to you in the condition you shipped it to him/her.  If they  have
legitimate beef, I would also return their postage although I  wouldn't put
that in my written guarantee.

5) Take good pictures so your potential buyer can see what they are  buying.
Use the  gallery feature to show different angles and  features of the item.

6) Set a reasonable reserve or a high enough starting price.

7) I like to use "Buy It Now" and set the price at a point with which you
would be satisfied.  I usually offer free shipping when BIN is used.

8) I would absolutely split it up into component pieces.  Don't  read that as
small groups, read it as individual pieces.

9) I would want the equipment in my possession so I could answer  questions
and have it available to ship at the end of the auction.

10) I like using a flat shipping charge as it allows me to package the  item,
carry it to the PO and mail it without having to add a couple of
communications between me and my buyer.  Items under $75 to $100, I usually
don't insure
as dealing with the PO in the event of a loss is such a  disaster.
Fortunately I've never lost an item I've shipped and I've  shipped all over the
world.
There has been an item or two that either got  lost or damaged when shipped
to me and I never received any settlement from the  PO.

If I were doing this for a friend and I was writing the description, taking
the photos and setting up the auction, I would want at least 25% of the net
from the sale.  If it wasn't a friend, I would probably be more inclined to
expect 35 to 40% of the net.  For most sellers that would be a good deal,  if I
were handling it from the start to the finish, as they would have the
advantage of a seller of with a history on ebay and who had the various
accounts
such as PayPal already set up.  For most they would probably also have  a
better
photographer and wordsmith who would produce a better bottom  line for them.

We all know that each of us has an opinion.  This one is from one  who has a
100 satisfaction rating on ebay as both a buyer and seller over the  past 6
years with over 250 transactions in which feedback was left.  I  think I also
have a 100% satisfaction rating on this list as I've bought and  sold a bunch
of
here over the past few years.  Good luck and make sure you  get paid for your
efforts and expertise.

Please feel free to share this email with the friend with whom you are
having the conversation about selling his stuff.  Bill  Barber