[OM] Infinity focus [was Samples from my lovely E-1, was E300 vs E1]

Subject: [OM] Infinity focus [was Samples from my lovely E-1, was E300 vs E1]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2005 15:26:17 -0700
Brian Swale wrote:

>Well, it IS  possible to manually focus the ZD lenses, so if you are using
>your lens set wide open to get shallow DOF, and you wish to focus on either
>the closest part of your subject, and then some other part, you can;

Just like we've been doing forever with OMs and other manual focus SLRs.

>you can also do this in auto by locking the focus on a chosen distance
>(shutter
>button half-depressed ) then pan to another place where the sharpness of the
>focus may look different, and complete the shutter button closure - if you get
>the drift of the argument.

I do this too.

>And talking about focus, I have found that my bargain de-fungussed Zuiko 85-
>250 is STILL sharp even though it was taken to bits to be cleaned. On the E-
>1 it is incredibly finicky to focus, especially semi-hand-held, and at full
>stretch. 1 KM away is NOT at infinity according to this lens, so I have to
>turn
>to the infinity stop, then carefully back off a little..

Exactly what you should have to do. I don't have a manual for the 85-250
nor does the eSIF. However, this quote from the 300/4.5 manual is
probably apposite.

"The focusing ring of this lens stops beyond the infinity mark so that
you can precisely focus on infinity in low or high tempertures.
Therefore, when you take a landscape picture, do not rotate the focusing
ring to the extreme end where it stops. You should rather look through
the viewfinder and focus on the subject by adjusting the focusing ring."

Moose