[OM] Re: Scanning 101 question

Subject: [OM] Re: Scanning 101 question
From: Andrew Dacey <adacey@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 21:19:36 -0300
On 8/10/05, NSURIT@xxxxxxx <NSURIT@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'm making my first attempt at scanning B&W negatives on my Epson 3200
> scanner and am using the neat little MF film holder recommended by Chris.
> When
> I'm ask how I want them scanned, do I select 48 bit color, 24 bit color, 16
> grayscale or 8 grayscale.  Then what format is going to work best, Tiff,
> bitmap,
> JPG or whatever other choices that are offered.
>
> Ultimately, I'll want to end up printing them on my Epson 1280  printer.
>
> Thanks in advance, Bill Barber

My technique may be a bit more complicated than what you're looking
for but I've found it gives good results.

First I scan the neg as a positive in 16-bit grayscale. I use Vuescan
and have it simply output the raw file with no adjustments at all.

In photoshop I adjust the white point to where I want it. Remember,
you're working with the neg as a positive so this is the shadow detail
you're looking at. I find it easier to see if the details are blocking
up using this method. I don't touch the black point.

I then touch up all the dust and scratches. I find picking out black
marks easier than white, just me.

After that work is done I invert the image which will now give you a
normal looking shot. I then adjust the white point (which is now the
highlights as you'd expect).

I then adjust the midtone slider to make the overall image lighter or darker.

Then I apply sharpening, flatten the image (my sharpening is applied
as a separate layer) and convert it to 8-bits.