[OM] Re: Scanning 101 question

Subject: [OM] Re: Scanning 101 question
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 15:19:59 -0700 (PDT)
Bill Barber wrote:
> I'm making my first attempt at scanning B&W negatives...
> ...Ultimately, I'll want to end up printing them on my Epson
> 1280 printer.

For some strange reason that saddens me.  :(

Honestly, I've gotton my best B&W to digital results when I make
a chemical enlargement then photograph it with the digital
camera.  Other than wide area dodging and burning, I don't even
have to mess around with tonalities too much in the analog realm
either.  Just make a straight print about 1-2 grades softer than
normal that shows all the desired tonalities.  The grain is much
better and the image just comes to life better.  On my webpage,
a good example of this is the "Wet Leaves" photo.  I've tried to
duplicate this shot with the scanned negative and it's as good
as impossible to do.

After another big box of transparency film and I should be ready
to offer digital contact negatives for traditional chemical B&W
paper printing. It's coming along rather slowly as the tonal
nuances in highlights and shadows are still just a touch raspy.
I'm also trying to come to grips with dust management of these
contact negatives.  Also, getting a border layed down eats up a
ton of ink if I do an 11x14 print with 8x10ish image area.  But
it is kinda cool being able to actually put titles below the
image right on the paper.

AG

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs