[OM] Re: For those of you that are fans of B&W

Subject: [OM] Re: For those of you that are fans of B&W
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 07 Aug 2005 14:33:05 -0700
Tom Scales wrote:

>In my on-going quest to fill my time while sitting in my wife's hospital
>room, I am adding feature after silly feature to my website.

Oh boy, do you have my sympathy and prayers. I spent uncounted hours in
my wife's hospital rooms

>I thought some of you might be interested in this latest one -- and I'll be
>happy to share the PHP code if there is interest.

I'd be interested. I certainly need something different that what I'm
using. Does this include the feature you talked about where it
automatically adds images added to particular folders? That sound extra
special.

>On each page that displays a single image, there is a thumbnail on the right
>that is a B&W version. If you click it, the images switch and the full-size
>image is in B&W and the thumbnail is in Color.
>
>The only image that I put on the site is the full-size, 640x480 color image.
>The site (my code) adds the copyright if the image is over 200 pixels.  The
>B&W image is created on the fly by my PHP code. It's not a perfect B&W
>rendering, but it is kind of cool.
>
>http://www.scalesimages.com/scalesimages/single.php?img=./030_menu_Architecture//090-SA141.jpg&bw=N

The site takes a while to render. And the B&W change is slow, 1.5mb DSL,
Thunderbird, 2.8mhz P4, 2gb ram. Much quicker after the first load
because of the cache. It looks like the images are rendered twice each
time the page is opened or updated?

Moose