[OM] Pinhole conversion

Subject: [OM] Pinhole conversion
From: Andrew Dacey <adacey@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2005 12:24:32 -0300
Hello,

I know this has been discussed before but I couldn't resist posting
something on topic.

I had taken a pinhole photo workshop last summer and it was a lot of
fun (the self-portrait on my homepage, http://www.tildefrugal.net/ is
from the workshop). I'd like to do some more pinhole shooting but
would prefer to use film instead of paper for the negs so that I can
do enlargements.

I have some plans to possibly build a 4x5 pinhole camera at some point
but that's more of a long-term thing.

I figure for the short-term a 35mm pinhole makes more sense. I know a
lot of people have converted body caps into pinholes so that's one
option. I had also seen someone post a link where a person had added a
pinhole aperture to a 50mm lens (although not a true pinhole as this
retained the optics). I'd thought of converting a 50/1.8 but don't
have one to use (I know, I should turn in my ZA membership card right
now, to be fair I gave mine away in order to enable another). So, that
leaves the body cap route.

Mainly what I'm looking for is some info on how to go about the
conversion. First, is a body cap usually light tight around the edges
(obviously I could check this fairly easily but may as well start with
the wisdom of the list). Second, what's the focal length and what size
pinhole would be needed to cover the 35mm frame? I'm assuming that it
would be the flange distance plus however much the body cap extends
out from there, is that right? And finally, what's the best method for
doing the conversion? I thought of drilling it but don't know if I'd
have a small enough bit and has the drawback of having a fairly thick
piece of plastic so I'd need a wider opening to avoid vignetting I
imagine. The other thought would be to cut out a larger hole and then
attach a copper shim (which I do have). The added bonus I see here is
that I could use extension tubes and a different shim to get different
focal lengths.

Any thoughts or recommendations?