[OM] Re: OT rescuing old negatives?

Subject: [OM] Re: OT rescuing old negatives?
From: Andrew McPhee <macca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2005 16:27:57 +1000
At 02:23 PM 2/08/2005 +0200, Jonas wrote:

>Going through my parents' old stuff I came across a whole lot of old
>negatives, but a couple of the (black and white) films seemed to have
>gone almost black. The images are very dark and look as if they are
>nearly gone, and even the film base is very dark. What is the cause of
>this? Insufficient fixing?
>
>Is there anything that can be done to save them?

My guess is insufficient fixing, I don't think much can be done to save
them.  Trying to make traditional prints off them would probably be a PITA,
If I were you I'd scan the negs and see what Photoshop can do to find an
image in there.

This reminds me of an occasion in my teen years.  One Sunday afternoon a
young lady from across the street told me how much she'd like to find out
what happens in a darkroom.  I told her I'd go set up and she should drop
over in a hour's time.  While getting things ready I was aghast to discover
I had run out of fixer but since I didn't often have young ladies visit my
darkroom I decided to wing it.

She arrived and we turned the lights out.  I made half a dozen prints and
she was thrilled to see them appear like magic in the developer.  But as
soon as I turned the lights on again all the prints turned black and so did
her mood.

So I learned a valuable lesson that day - running out of fixer is bad for
your love life!  ;-)

Andrew McPhee