[OM] Re: OK, it might be time.... need advice

Subject: [OM] Re: OK, it might be time.... need advice
From: "Jeff Keller" <jeff-keller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2005 10:22:56 -0700
I recently bought an E-300 while my E-1 was being brought back to life. I
think you could be happy with either.

A few comments
E-300: Not as comfortable to hold as an E-1 or OM. The grip doesn't allow
many options  where your fingers go but my fingers are too long to be
comfortable. I don't have strong negative feelings about plastic so to me it
feels nearly as well made as an OM. Controls seem to be easy to master and
convenient. Essentially all of my E-System photos are used for relatively
low resolution (web and 4.5x6 paper image) so I can't really compare the
pixel count but the extra pixels were an attraction.

E-1: With twist latches to open compartment doors, thick magnesium castings
covered in rubber, the build quality seems better than an OM. Very
comfortable to hold. The optional grid screen is very nice. Service and
repair has been extremely good! Now that it has been re-born I still grab it
before the E-300. Probably because I had it first and I'm more familiar with
it.

The E-System flashes are very nice. The options are limited compared to the
OM System. I often use the FL-50 hand held at the end of the shoe mounted
cord. There aren't any multi-flash connectors yet. I think a quick test
showed that both the shoe and built in flash on the E-300 can be
simultaneously used (haven't done it for real). I wish the E-300 had the
synch output the E-1 has but in reality flash slaves are more convenient
than wires (I seldom use either).

I took one look at the barrel distortion of the 14-45 lens and promptly sat
the lens down on a table. In reality the lens is probably fine but the lower
distortion of the 14-54 makes it the one I take with. I actually use the two
wide angle zooms more than the mid-range. The widest zoom has become
indispensable.

I shoot raw often under bizarre lighting resulting from fluorescent lights
mixed with incandescent plus flash. Color accuracy isn't something I see ;^)
http://www.julianalee.com/homes/2005/monroe_dr_186/index_b.htm

The long zoom 50-200 seems to work well but I've seldom used it. I find an
OM with 100 ISO chrome film on a tripod has more resolution than the E-1 so
for my own entertainment I carry an OM bag. I'm hoping to apply some
recreational testing to the E-300 this weekend ... comparing it to film for
my typical wandering around.

Whichever body you get, you will eventually want the widest zoom!

-jeff
(and adding to Steve's reply - the E-300 got a second OM Zuiko adapter for
me)