[OM] OT Web Design

Subject: [OM] OT Web Design
From: "Jeff Keller" <jeff-keller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2005 14:37:07 -0700
It's been over 5 years since I paid much attention to web page design. I
would like a little advice on how widespread various technologies are. I'm
after simple but very widely supported features. I would prefer not having
to detect which browser is used or inserting code to fall back to basic when
advanced is not supported.

Cascading style sheets + JavaScript seem to be commonly used together. Quite
a few websites still seem to used tables to position elements even when
using css. Are css and java script so widely supported by browsers that it
is safe to rely on them? Any recommendations for books with canned style
sheets?

PHP seems to be commonly used but not as widely as the above pair. Are there
any obvious reasons to prefer this choice or the above?

This advice would be used to update a real estate agent's site. Maximum
accessibility and relatively low tech is what I'm aiming for. I'm hoping to
get away from maintaining nested tables and to add support for window widths
beyond 640 pixels.

Thank you,
-jeff