[OM] Re: olympus Digest V2 #210

Subject: [OM] Re: olympus Digest V2 #210
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2005 11:42:19 -0400
R. Jackson wrote:

> Good lord, I wasn't aware of this. Leave it to software engineers to
> decide that they can circumvent the shortcomings of questionable
> optics.
--------------------------------

My recollection is that the intent was for the firmware/software to go
well beyond simple vignetting.  I assume (but don't know) that the 4/3
standard includes lens to body communication of not only the vignetting
characteristics of the lens but also chromatic abberation, distortion
and perhaps other optical abberations.  That this technology doesn't
actually appear to be in use yet is perhaps a statement of limited
computational horsepower and resolution.  You can't do software
correction for distortion without pinching and puffing a lot of pixels.

Maybe the 12mm and 18mm "shift" lenses will be software perspective
control in the E-3... er, no, maybe the E-9.  A real 12mm shift lens
would probably garner some market attention.

Chuck Norcutt