[OM] DoF conversion from 35mm to digi equivalant

Subject: [OM] DoF conversion from 35mm to digi equivalant
From: Andrew Dacey <adacey@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 13:28:15 -0300
One of the things I'm trying to wrap my head around for the switch to
digital is how the DoF changes. I know with a smaller sensor you get a
greater DoF for the same field of view (much like you get a smaller
DoF with larger formats).

But, I'm wondering how one can quickly figure out what aperture you
should select to get the equivalent DoF with the smaller sensor?

Most DSLR's have a multiplier of 1.5x, that's awfully close to the
1-stop magic number of 1.4 (well okay square root of 2 but you know
what I mean). Or, with the 4/3 system it's a 2x multiplier. What I'm
wondering is can you simply assume that to get the same DoF you'd need
to open up 1 stop for APS sized sensor and 2 stops for 4/3?

For instance, say I have 2 Zuikos (had to keep this on topic somehow),
a 50/1.4 and a 100/2.8. I could mount the 100/2.8 on an OM and the
50/1.4 on an E-1 to get the same FOV. Would the 50 at 1.4 give me the
same DoF as the 100 at 2.8?

If I'm right, it seems like a nice easy way to quickly figure out what
the DoF would be if you're used to thinking in 35mm terms. If I'm
wrong, is there a quick formula to use?