[OM] Re: Film pro goes digi, another E-1 photo

Subject: [OM] Re: Film pro goes digi, another E-1 photo
From: "Jeff Keller" <jeff-keller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 09:15:04 -0700

Thanks for sending that Chuck. I don't recall having seen that one before.
The rear element on the 50-200 & the 1.4x TC is about 7/8" in diameter. The
rear element of the 7-14 is about 9/16".

The square baffle placed just inside the camera's mount is 1" square vs. the
nearly 1.75" opening of the mount.

I think point 9 is especially misleading placed just before point 10.
Clearly if the light rays are truly perpendicular the opening doesn't have
to be any larger than the sensor. I think they have written that in a way to
intentionally make the reader assume things they don't actually say. While
comparing what they say to what I see in the camera I don't see that they
say anything that is inconsistent nor do they actually say the mount has to
be that large. I think they are trying to get the reader to assume that a
full frame digital sensor would require a mount larger than used by a film
camera (i.e. C*non & others couldn't use a film camera mount with a full
frame sensor without sacrificing quality). They don't actually say that
though ;^)

-jeff