[OM] Monitors, E behaviour, and other

Subject: [OM] Monitors, E behaviour, and other
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 13:29:28 +1200
Hi all,

Many thanks to you all for providing advice and information about computer
monitor adjustment and choice. I will be extracting all those messages from
the digest and writing them into one document.

My current monitor is a "digital" brand, manufacturer Digital, 146 Main
Street, Maynard, MA 01754, USA. It was made in Taiwan ROC. I suppose
Taiwan ROC is a suburb of Maynard. There is a date on the back of the
monitor; Jan 1995.  I suppose this records the date that ROC was
incorporated into Maynard.

And before you all laugh your heads off, let me point out that noses and ears
can get snapped off when loose heads roll around on a hard floor. ;-)
Just think about it for a moment.

The monitor has been very good up until the present. Without looking at
jpegs from the E-1, you'd never suspect that anything was amiss.  The only
exterior adjustments I can see deal with location and shape of the viewed
screen, and contrast and brightness - both of which I have screwed right up
to the max as anything else is not good enough. Turning the monitor around
seemed to indicate that de-gaussing is not required.

Thanks also for the comments about the E-1 writing light running amok. As
far as I can figure out, I may have inadvertently touched the "one-touch white
balance" while doing things around the rear display; this may have started
the fit; and NO, I'm not going to try and set it off again.

Doro asked ( Glad to see you back writing to us Doro -  I was about to ask if
you had given up on us all) why did I stop it in the writing process. Well, my
experience with computers, and this is a little computer, is that when they
do something like this there is probably an error process taking place and
stopping it is probably a good thing to do. Like pulling the plug FAST if you
think a new, undetected, virus is doing lots of writes etc on the HDD.

Brian