[OM] Re: Lies, digital, and megapixels

Subject: [OM] Re: Lies, digital, and megapixels
From: Andrew Dacey <adacey@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 16:09:34 -0300
On 7/27/05, Walt Wayman <hiwayman@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> I think "more better" is a Southernism, and I approve, as it provides a shade
> of meaning not previously available in common English-speak.  It goes like
> this here*: good, better, more better, best, bestest.

I can see the argument for "more better" in that description but by
definition, there's nothing better than the best (otherwise it
wouldn't be the best). So is best the bestest or is bestest more
better than best? If bestest is the best than how can it be more
better (bester?) than best and how can best be less better than
bestest? I think some more better grammar is needed.

I suspect this evolved out of the progression of "fast, faster,
fastest" and similar but then you'd think it'd be "best, bester,
bestest".

Or we could just start using newspeak "good, plus good, doubleplus good, etc".

Out of curiosity, how's the negative continuum work? "Bad, badder,
more badder, worst, worstest"?