[OM] Scaling algorithms (was: Re: The Gimp file sizes)

Subject: [OM] Scaling algorithms (was: Re: The Gimp file sizes)
From: Nils Frohberg <nilsf@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 10:18:19 +0200
I'm sorry, my reply wasn't sent out yesterday. (Probably because the
notebook didn't have the IPSec connection open, that means that
it's still in the queue and will be sent later, but I don't know
when that will be so here is the reply again: )

On Fri, Jul 22, 2005 at 09:08:59AM -0300, Andrew Dacey wrote:
> On 7/22/05, Nils Frohberg <nilsf@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I also use a Perl script to convert my TIFF files to web-sized JPEGs.
> > ImageMagick is a great tool for this, especially since you can vary
> > between different scaling algorithms.
>
> Hmmm, this sounds interesting, I wasn't aware that you had different
> scaling algorithms to choose from. Then again, I wrote my script a
> long time ago so it may be a newer feature in ImageMagick or simply
> one I wasn't aware of back then. Could you elaborate on how you select
> which algorithm is used?

I don't know when they were added. It is very easy to use: All you
need to do is to add a 'filter' argument to the Resize command, like
this:

        my $filter = 'Laczos';
        my $blur = 1;

        $image->Resize(geometry=>'800x600', filter=>$filter, blur=>$blur);

There are a few algorithms you can choose from. You can find example
images at http://www.dylanbeattie.net/magick/filters/result.html along
with a sample script.

Enjoy,

Nils

--
The Moon is Waning Gibbous (79% of Full)