[OM] Re: The Gimp file sizes

Subject: [OM] Re: The Gimp file sizes
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 16:38:43 -0700
Chris Barker wrote:

>I have wondered, on occasion, what might cause the differences in
>file size, whether compressed or not.

Conceptually pretty simple, although I wouldn't understand the inner
details of the code. Take an image where all pixels are just one color.
You can describe it completely in a handful of bytes. Take one where
every pixel is very different from all of its neighbors. Even with
acceptance of lossy compression, where subtle variations in color can be
ignored, it is virtually uncompressable without major loss to the image
appearance.

Moose